Friday, February 19, 2010

Springy. Not as in a bouncy kind of spring, more of a fresh flowery spring.

I decided to do a timeline of the finally blooming daffodils. It took all my willpower to not post pictures of them too soon.

I cannot wait until more flowers bloom and everything turns green. Bare trees and brown grass make me frown.








Ah... Fresh.

I am tired. Seems I am always tired. But thats probably because of my tendency to go to bed late. I'm trying to go to bed earlier, really I am. This darn no dairy diet is making me as limp as a wet noodle. July... that month better come soon. I'm counting the days.

Speaking of things that aren't going to happen in a long time, my favorite show Merlin won't be coming back until September. The second season ended in November some time. Such a long time... It is the best TV show series I have ever seen.


My mom and I went to go and see the production of Swan Lake at the Cox on Wednesday. It was so good! It took me forever to relax and actually enjoy it. I kept noticing every little flaw in their dancing. Such as, when I caught someone holding their foot wrong, I would zero in on them and watch them the whole time. It was frustrating. I finally said to myself: You know, I can barely even do half of what they are doing, so let them be!

Anyway, I was watching a TV channel called V-me, and it had another production of Swan Lake. It was the best Swan Lake I have ever seen. Literally. Gillian Murphy, the ballerina who dances Odette/Odile, is a beautiful dancer. It's amazing to watch her. I don't know how to put links on here, but if you go to YouTube and type in: Gillian Murphy Swan Lake, the first two links will say this:

Gillian Murphy- Swan Lake- Black Swan

Swan Lake Pas D'action Gillian Murphy

Click on those and watch them! They are amazing. And if you want to be even more amazed, watch the finale of that same production. (Even though they commit suicide at the end, it is still beautiful.)

I couldn't decided what pictures I liked better, so I put them all on.



Odile (Black Swan) pretending to be Odette. In Swan Lake she is best known for the (and might I say amazing) 32 fouettes in a row. I think Gillian Murphy does them the best, she even added a few extra turns in between. As I said, she is an amazing dancer.

If you want the technical definition of a fouette, look below.

A turn made by using a fouetté. For each turn the dancer stands momentarily on flat foot and in plié, as the working leg is extended in fourth position en l'air (or à la hauteur) front then whipped around to the side as the working foot is pulled in to touch behind the supporting knee. That creates the impetus to spin one turn as the dancer executes a relevé, rising onto pointe. Done properly, the dancer remains in place. The famous 32 continuous fouettés in the coda of the "Black Swan" Pas de Deux from Swan Lake are a bravura performance designed to express the strength and triumph of the character.




4 comments:

Carolina mama said...

Lovely photos, all of them. Someday, that will be you: Odette/Odile.

Maria Nielson said...

Sigh! :)

The Yoder's Five said...

You know, I have a VHS copy of Gillian Murphy and Angel Corella in Swan Lake. I recorded it when it was on TV a few years ago. Maybe I can find it for you. Gillian is really good but Angel is the BEST! I love him!!!

PS. Eat more proteins and go to bed earlier. Hard rolls aren't very nutritious--you gotta get more variety than that! Just sayin'.

Megan said...

I rented it from Netflix, I have watched it so many times I practically have it memorized. I love it!